Friday, June 27, 2008

A day that makes you think!

Today we started out in Seattle, Washington, and travelled a few miles down the road to Country Children's Home. This is a place where 8 severally physically handicap children live upon dismissal from the hospital, or if there parents are unable to continue care on their own. We were not able to take pictures of the children, but one of the things that I helped with while there is the sorting of the toys. We had to find out which ones worked, and which ones didn't. It was just something that the staff there just didn't have time to do. It was amazing to watch our students play with these kids who could hardly move, and couldn't talk. Most were very tentative at first, but as we moved on through out the day they became much more interactive. There was one young lady who was 16 years old, and was in hospice care. She has Huntington's, which disease that attacks the central nervous system and started with being unable to move her legs, and has worked the rest of the way up her body. She is assumed to have only a couple weeks to live. Huntington's is a genetic disease, which her mother was unaware she has when she and her husband had 3 children. Her mother passed away a few years ago, and all 3 children have this disease. I have had a really hard time today imagining being this Dad, and having to watch my wife and 3 children pass on in such a way. I don't know what I would do, or how I would react to such a thing. If you could remember this family in your prayers it would be appreciated.

Also, we have spent alot of time traveling over the last several days, and I have been able to have some very good talks with our students. I would also ask for prayer because there are several working through some very deep wounds. I pray that during this trip that the healing process is started, and that God will use me to speak into their lives.

God Bless,

Andy

No comments: