Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Day At Our Apartments!

I don't have any new pictures to share with you all this week, because I am thinking at this time it wouldn't be a very good idea. Being here for only 2 weeks there appears to still be some racial tension. You see there are only 4 white people in our apartment complex. Matt, my roommate, and I are known as "The Christians."

One of the guys, Tae, that Matt and Jason have been working with for the last 6 months or so is going to stay with us for a few days because he doesn't have anywhere to live at the moment. So, he was out shooting some hoops with the guys that are always outside hanging out and dealing in our complex. I went out for a few minutes, and then headed back in to throw some things away, then back out to hang. I had to leave for a little while to get some things accomplished for The Lot Project, and when I came back we played some basketball. I was really thirsty so I came inside and got everyone a water, and a glass of milk for one of their girl friends. The more I hang outside with these guys the more I realize how much traffic is in and out of our complex, and how much is really going on here. They always put there joints out when we come outside, and apologize for their language.

It wasn't until after we came back inside that, Tae, told me that when I left one of the guys had put his .357 handgun in the bushes. He than proceeded to ask if we were cool? Tae was able to tell them that we were, and able to give us a little street credit. A couple of the guys are really cool with us, and we are able to talk too, but there is obviously a total lack of trust with the rest of them. It can be frustrating at times when they don't respond the way you would like them to, just because of the color of my skin. However, the more I think about it and wrestle with this idea the more I can't say that I blame them.

2 Corinthians 3:9-12 says "If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that bring righteousness! For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison to the surpassing glory. And if what was fading away came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts! Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. "

It is going to take some time to build those relationships, but please continue to keep us in your prayers. Pray that we continue to be very bold for Christ.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

andy you are in our prayers.
mike and tammy ruse

Jason Fry said...

Andy...

I'm totally excited reading how God is using you already! I hope all is well and I plan to read all updates! Jason Fry

Anonymous said...

Build away Andy. The Lord has your back, and your doing a great work for him. God bless!!! Dave and Teresa Morris

Jeff Brown said...

Andy
We are praying for you. May God give you souls for your labor.
Jeff and Shannon Brown